Theft Crimes Attorney located in Waterbury
And Serving Clients throughout New Haven, Hartford & Litchfield Counties
If you have been charged with a theft crime, it is crucial to seek qualified legal assistance immediately. Even if your offense doesn’t seem serious, the consequences might be.
Whether you made a mistake or have been wrongfully accused, our experienced theft crimes lawyer in Waterbury can help protect your constitutional rights.
To speak with a skilled theft crime defense attorney who has your best interest in mind, contact us at (203) 448-4431 today.
For 13 years, the Law Offices of Michael T. Barrett has offered reliable, honest, and effective legal services to clients who deserve a second chance. Let us help you tell your side of the story and demonstrate your innocence.
By convincing the court that this won’t happen again, you may be able to avoid a criminal sentence.
Theft Crimes in Waterbury
Connecticut law refers to theft as larceny. Larceny involves taking someone else’s property intentionally, without their permission, and with the intent to permanently deprive them of the property. There are a variety of unlawful acts that can be charged as larceny.
The most common types of larceny include:
- Failure to pay wages
- Receiving stolen property
- Taking property by pretense
- Theft of services
- Fraudulent use of an ATM
The Penalties for Larceny
In Connecticut, there are six degrees of larceny and each carries a separate penalty. The degree of larceny is determined by the value of the property that has allegedly been taken.
The degrees of larceny and their classifications and penalties include:
- 1st Degree (More than $20,000): Class B felony with a maximum fine of $15,000 and up to 20 years in prison
- 2nd Degree ($10,000 to $20,000): Class C felony with a maximum fine of $10,000 and up to 10 years in prison
- 3rd degree ($2,000 to $10,000): Class D felony with a maximum fine of $5,000 and up to 5 years in prison
- 4th degree ($1000 to $2,000): Class A misdemeanor with a maximum fine of $2,000 and up to one year in prison
- 5th degree ($500 to $1,000): Class B misdemeanor with a maximum fine of $1,000 and up to six months in prison
- 6th degree (Less than $500): Class C misdemeanor with a maximum fine of $500 and up to three months in jail
Obtain Qualified Legal Counsel Today
With the Law Offices of Michael T. Barrett on your side, you can count on quality representation and personalized service.
Our Waterbury theft crimes lawyer is prepared to develop a strategic legal defense that could result in the charges against you being reduced or dropped altogether.
To set up a free consultation to discuss your legal options, contact our skilled theft crime attorney today at (203) 448-4431 or fill out an online contact form.
Detail-Oriented and Goal Focused Representation
When You Hire Us, We are Available to You 24/7
Clear, Focused Communication
SuperLawyers Rising Star in 2015
Personalized and Approachable Care
Over a Decade of Legal Experience