Waterbury Misdemeanor Lawyer
Defending Clients Facing Misdemeanor Charges in New Haven, Hartford & Litchfield Counties
If you are ever involved in a misdemeanor case, having an experienced misdemeanor defense attorney in Waterbury is crucial. The Law Offices of Michael T. Barrett protect the rights and freedom of those accused of criminal offenses. We work hard to craft solid defense strategies to reduce or dismiss our clients’ charges.
Are you facing a misdemeanor charge in Connecticut? Call the Law Offices of Michael T. Barrett, LLC today at (203) 448-4431 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our misdemeanor attorney in Waterbury!
What are the Consequences for Being Convicted of a Misdemeanor?
Although misdemeanor crimes are considered less severe than felonies, they can still lead to serious consequences that can significantly impact your future. If convicted of a misdemeanor, you could face the following:
- Jail time
- A permanent mark on your record
- Immigration complications
What are the Different Types of Misdemeanors?
Misdemeanor charges can result from a variety of alleged acts, including:
- Petty theft
- Sexual assault
- Breach of peace
- Reckless driving
- Criminal mischief
- Delivery of drug paraphernalia
- Credit card theft
- Fraudulent use of an ATM
- Issuing a bad check
The penalties that an individual will face for a misdemeanor are determined by the type of crime committed and the circumstances involved. In Connecticut, misdemeanors are typically handled according to a classification system. Some crimes are unclassified and dealt with according to a crime-specific statute.
What are the Penalties for Misdemeanors in Connecticut?
- Class A misdemeanors: Up to one year in jail and a maximum fine of $2,000
- Class B misdemeanors: Up to six months in jail and a maximum fine of $1,000
- Class C misdemeanors: Up to three months in jail and a maximum fine of $500
- Class D misdemeanors: Up to 30 days in jail and a maximum fine of $250
How Long Does a Misdemeanor Stay on Your Record in Connecticut?
A misdemeanor will stay on your record for the rest of your life unless you can get it expunged. An expungement erases your entire Connecticut state criminal record. To apply, you must wait three years (for a misdemeanor) or five years (for a felony) from the disposition date. Misdemeanors will still appear on background checks when employers check your background.
Even though a misdemeanor will appear on a background check, you can get a Certificate of Employability (COE), or a provisional pardon does not erase your criminal record, but having one might make it easier for you to get a job. A provisional pardon or COE makes it illegal for an employer to refuse to hire you because of your record.
Protect Your Rights with an Experienced Misdemeanor Lawyer
When facing misdemeanor charges, it is crucial to have a skilled and knowledgeable attorney by your side to protect your rights and advocate for your best interests. At Law Offices of Michael T. Barrett, LLC, our Waterbury misdemeanor lawyer has extensive experience defending clients in New Haven, Hartford, and Litchfield counties.
Why choose our firm for your misdemeanor defense?
- Expertise in misdemeanor law: Our attorney specializes in misdemeanor cases and is well-versed in the Connecticut legal system. We have a deep understanding of the laws, procedures, and strategies necessary to build a strong defense.
- Personalized approach: We understand that every case is unique, and we take the time to thoroughly evaluate the details of your situation. Our lawyer will work closely with you to develop a tailored defense strategy that aligns with your specific needs and goals.
- Strong advocacy: Our priority is to protect your rights and fight for the best possible outcome. We will aggressively advocate for you in negotiations, hearings, and, if necessary, in the courtroom.
- Client-focused representation: We prioritize open communication and transparency throughout the legal process. Our attorney will keep you informed every step of the way and address any concerns or questions you may have.
Don't face misdemeanor charges alone. Contact our Waterbury misdemeanor attorney today to schedule a consultation and discuss your case in detail.
Contact Our Waterbury Misdemeanor Attorney Today
If you have been arrested or charged with a misdemeanor offense in Waterbury, our qualified criminal defense firm can help. With over a decade of experience in criminal law, our team of professionals is equipped with the knowledge and skills to defend against any misdemeanor charges aggressively. When you come to us, you can expect to receive the personalized service you deserve.
Contact the Law Offices of Michael T. Barrett, LLC today to schedule a FREE consultation with our misdemeanor lawyer in Waterbury!
Detail-Oriented and Goal Focused Representation
When You Hire Us, We are Available to You 24/7
Clear, Focused Communication
Selected to Super Lawyers in 2021, 2022, and 2023
Personalized and Approachable Care
Over a Decade of Legal Experience